Sunday, June 24, 2007

My challenge card + more square steps punch

As everyone knows by now, I am trying to convince Stampin' Up! to save the square steps corner pocket punch. If you'd like to help, please see this post. If you want to see what else you can do with this punch, keep reading. I'm about to show you something new.

It's not quite as easy as the medallion, but I love the effect.
Start by taking 2 2" squares of the same pattern double sided designer paper. Punch all 4 corners on one square and just two opposite corners on the other. You can see the way you need to punch the squares in this photo. please note that this paper is the same, you are just seeing both sides of it.


On the square with two punched corners, fold the corners to the inside as shown here.






On the other 2" square use scissor snips to cut off the punched corner pieces.











This is what the square should look like with one corner piece cut off.










And these are the pieces you should be left with after all 4 corners are cut off.




Now adhere the two corners on the first square and apply some adhesive to the top of each turned corner.








Use two of the corner pieces you trimmed off the other square and adhere them to the first square directly over the turned in pieces, making sure that the since of designer paper that matches the two unpunched corners is facing up. In this picture the punched piece was applied on the right side, and the left side still needs to be done. After you are finished you should only be able to see one design on the paper.





Now take the remainder of the second square (the piece with the corners trimmed off) and adhere it to the 1st corner as shown in the photo, making sure that the opposite design shows so that you have a contrast.
That's it. It took a little more work but now you have another cool medallion to decorate your cards with.




I used my medallion to finish off my challenge card for this week. I started with a perfect plum base, which I stamped in pale plum ink with the small flowers from the petite patterns set. Unfortunately the background pattern is really difficult to see in this photo.
I then layered on a piece of the enchante double sided designer paper from the winter mini. I was crossing my fingers that this paper would make it into the big catalog because it's so beautiful and it does not use any in-colors, but I think I'm out of luck on this as well, so I figured I might as well use the remainder of it on this card.
On top of the enchante paper strip I layered a piece of pale plum card stock which I first ran through the crimper for a little added dimension. I stamped the "congrats" sentiment from All year Cheer III in perfect plum on very vanilla card stock and punched it out with the small oval punch. I layered it on a Large oval punched out of perfect plum card stock and adhered it to the center of the medallion with a dimensional. I then added a couple of silver diamond brads from the vintage collection in the corners of the medallion of additional interest, and adhered the medallion to the card using dimensionals.
I like this card because it's just a little bit different and it's interesting but understated. Hope you like it as well.

3 comments:

michelle sturgeon said...

Holy wow! That is very creative! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous card. Great tutorial.

Anonymous said...

Holy Moly!! This looks complicated but I'm going to try it. I found it just in time for the Paper Pleasing Special. Thanks for sharing!!