Sunday, June 17, 2007

The first challenge cards are in aleady!

I hope everyone had a fantastic Father's Day today! It was a super hot day here in Chicagoland but the heat and the 17-year cicadas did not deter us from our Father's Day tradition -- a picnic at the Duffy forest preserve in Lamont. I didn't realize this, but I guess the tradition goes back 45 years, so it's no wonder that no one let the weather and what are essentially harmless bugs spoil our fun. As uncomfortable as it may have been this year, it was a vast improvement over last year when we bar-b-qued while huddling under vinyl tablecloths during a horrendous downpour!

Over the years the number of attendees has grown so much that this year we were warned that we should have obtained a park district permit for our group. Fortunately, my uncles were able to convince the park district police that a warning was sufficient, assuring them that we would certainly follow the rules and obtain a permit next year. LOL! We're picnicking outlaws!

But enough about me -- let's talk about the fantastic cards that have already been stamped for this challenge! The first is by Nikki, who came up with this totally awesome (and very topical, given the date) card. I really love Nikki's coloring, her simple but poignant sentiment, and her use of twill and buttons. Great job, Nikki! If you agree, be sure to post a comment for Nikki here and let her know!

The second card is from Dawn. She used the Ruff Day stamp set which may sound odd considering the color combination but actually looks really adorable! I love how Dawn gave the dog almost amethyst spots and a rose red nose. It makes him look so playful! The scalloped edge at the bottom is very pretty as well. Way to go, Dawn! You can find Dawn's card here: http://treasureoilerdesignz.blogspot.com/2007/06/bonejour.html. Be sure to leave her a sweet comment!

Michelle used the sketch to create a card using the Glam Girl set. She used a scalloped edge on her card and added some rickrack to emphasize the curves. I really love how she used the hairdryer cord to wrap around the mat of her main image. Very Cool! Here is Michelle's card: http://comestampwithme.blogspot.com/2007/06/you-make-up-my-day.html. Check it out and let her know how much you like it!

Today's final card masterpiece was created by Marie. Marie used the Spring Bouquet set to create a lovely background and main image. I am so amazed at this card because I struggle so much any time I try to fill up a blank piece of card stock with a variety of stamps. For some reason I just do not have the "vision" to be able to create this kind of collage, so I really admire stampers who make it look so effortless! Another cool thing about Marie's card is the way she used crystal effects on the matted image to emphasize certain aspects of the design and the way she used a simple center of the flower stamp to create a design across one of the strips of card stock. All I can say is WOW. You can find Marie's card here: http://marielovestostamp.blogspot.com/2007/06/dianes-sunday-sketch-challenge-card_17.html. Go see it for yourself and please leave a nice comment as you visit!

that's it for challenge cards today, but hopefully we'll get more players throughout the week. Come on, everyone -- it's a lot of fun and a great way to get re-acquainted with sets that you haven't used in a while and are now slated for retirement! You will find the rules of the challenge here http://stampwithdiane.blogspot.com/2007/06/sunday-morning-challenge.html

3 comments:

MarieK said...

What a great card Nikki!

I don't have any of those sketch sets and I'm always amazed at the awesome cards created with them.

Your card is very timely and masculine - perfect for Father's Day!

Well done!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful card.

L8ybug2 said...

http://ritasstampart.blogspot.com/
My card for the challenge has been posted to my blog. I'm thinking I might make another one this week.
Thanks, Rita