Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Sleigh Bells Ring

This is another card I designed for a Convention Christmas card swap. As much as I loved my Big on Christmas card, I think this was actually my favorite. Probably because the Sleigh Bells Ring set is one of my favorites -- so much so that I ordered it this spring with my Senior Supervisor product bonus even though it had been placed on the dormant list. And now the gamble has paid off and the set is back in the fall/winter big book! Woo hoo!

To make this card I cut an oval from very vanilla card stock with my coluzzle, and cut a one size larger oval with the coluzzle from ruby red card stock. I stamped the sleigh image on the very vanilla card stock with chocolate chip craft ink and embossed it with clear embossing powder. I then used my stampin' write markers (what else? You know how much I love my markers!) to color in the image. the colors I used were ruby red, brocade blue, close to cocoa, creamy caramel, sahara sand, mellow moss and always artichoke. I then sponged some creamy caramel and close to cocoa ink on the edges to give the image an even more vintage look.

I sponged some chocolate chip ink on the edges of the ruby red oval and attached the very vanilla piece to the ruby red piece. I punched 2 1/2 inch circles from always artichoke card stock and attached them over the very vanilla and ruby red ovals as shown in photo. I used my 1/8" handheld punch to punch a hole in the center of each always artichoke circle. I took two lengths of chocolate chip taffeta ribbon and tied a knot towards one side of each ribbon. I threaded both ends of the ribbon through one of the holes and attached on end to the ruby red oval while the other end was left long to wrap around the craft mat.

For the mat I took a 4x5.25 piece of craft card stock and stamped the greeting in the lower right hand corner in Chocolate Chip ink. I heat embossed the greeting with clear embossing powder. I then used versamark ink and the holly image to stamp a background. I attached the ruby red oval to the mat and wrapped the chocolate chip taffeta ribbon so that the long ends were hidden behind the mat.

For the swap I left the card as was (this, too, was a mountable card front swap). For my sample I added an always artichoke base.

I'm pretty sure this card was a hit, and I'm so glad. I think I will use this design for our family Christmas cards this year!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane, Love this card. Using the sponge gave it a great vintage look!

Elizabeth said...

absolutely LOVE this card... maybe I will have to borrow this set to do my christmas cards.

Liz

Diane said...

Oh gorgeous!!! What a beautiful card Diane!!!

Nikki Bond said...

This is gorgeous Diane...I love the button/ribbon detail. This image is just so clean and classic and your coloring is beautiful! {SMILES}