Monday, August 25, 2008

punchy and monochromatic

As the title says, today's card is both punchy and monochromatic. I started out only wanting to use my new Punches Three Level 1 hostess set and my new bashful blue patterns designer paper, but then one thing led to another and this is the final product. I'll "walk" you through it step by step.

I started with a 4x5.25" piece of whisper white card stock and a 4x4" piece of the patterns designer paper. I decided that I was a little tired of straight lines, so I used my new scalloped edge punch on the designer paper. Then it seemed that the piece of designer paper was too big and I needed something to break it up, so I took a strip of bashful blue card stock and used the scalloped edge punch on both edges of the strip. I still needed more interest, so I added the striped bashful blue grosgrain ribbon.

By now the card looked a little washed out, with nothing but bashful blue and white, so I decided to make the card base ballet blue and stamp some stars from the classic backgrounds set at the top. of the whisper white card stock. Then I stamped the oval image from the Punches Three set in ballet blue on bashful blue card stock and punched it out with the new wide oval punch. But there wasn't enough color variation for me so I stamped the image again in bashful blue ink on whisper white card stock, trimmed out just the sentiment and attached it over the first image with dimensionals before adhering the whole thing to the card front.

I suppose I could have left it there, but the card felt a little off balance, so I decided I needed something in the lower right hand corner. I grabbed the Congrats stamp from the Say it with Scallops set and stamped it on whisper white card stock in ballet blue ink. I trimmed the card stock close to the sentiment and mounted it on square of ballet blue I punched out with the scalloped square punch. I finally felt the card was done when I added the sentiment to the card base.

I'm not sure I totally love it as it might now be a tad over done, but it sure was fun playing with all the new stamps and punches!

1 comment:

Holly Young said...

What a sweet card Diane! I love this!