Monday, August 20, 2007

Winter in August? How Cool!

Remember when I talked about Shelli's cool home decor displays at Convention? Well Darned if Glenda didn't come up with a way to have these ready for us to see live and in person at Saturday's SIS meeting. She had all of them -- the stack of boxes, the pinwheels, the garland, and even a sample ornament. I mean, honestly, I don;t know why she couldn't find a white tree in the middle of August to show us what the ornament would look like hung up. What a slacker! (OK, just in case you don't know my sense of humor -- I'm totally kidding!)

I took a close up of the boxes and the pinwheels. We'll be making similar projects at a winter home decor class later on this year or in early January. I can't wait -- I'm so looking forward to my house looking festive even after the Christmas decorations come down!

I hope you can see the little sparkly icicles hanging down from the lids of the octagonal boxes. These are made with crystal effects and dazzling diamonds, and they're quite easy (though they do require some patience). First you draw a line of crystal effects on top of a piece of wax paper. then you use the tip of the crystal effects bottle to draw down some of the crystal effects so that the line looks like a bit of icicle. Then you lightly sprinkle the icicle with dazzling diamonds and let the whole thing dry overnight until the crystal effects is completely dry. then you just peel the icicle off the wax paper and use an adhesive to attach it to your project.

Of course Glenda couldn't just show us the technique -- she and Julie P. worked really hard to make sure we were able to take home a sample card. That means that Julie made lots and lots of these icicles ahead of time. At the meeting all we had to do was stamp the main image on this card, apply some dazzling diamonds, and then adhere the stamped images and the ready-made icycles to the card. And isn't it an awesome card? I'll be the first to admit that the seasonal whimsey set is not my style, but I love the way it looks here! Thanks Glenda and Julie for making it possible for all of us to have this awesome sample!

3 comments:

Julie ~ Jades Butterflies! said...

WOW! Those look great! I always work on Saturdays so meeting are out for me...thanks for sharing...I am so jelous!!!

Deborah said...

Fantastic fun! Look out Martha Stewart! Deb

Lisa Carroll said...

Pardon the pun, but... "cool" projects! LOL ;) I read about that icicle tutorial on another blog (no clue where, LOL) and it looks so fun! I must give this a go. TFS! :)