Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Two takes

Tonight I want to show you two takes on the same layout and I would love some feedback on which card you like better. Unfortunately, I'm afraid the feedback is going to be a little skewed by the fact that for the life of me I could not get a good picture of the second card. But still, take a look at both and let me know what you think.

The first card is just the cake from year after year stamped in Sahara sand on whisper white and colored with groovy guava ink using a blender pen. I even made all the dots with my blender pen. I added some groovy guava prints double sided designer paper, a little apricot appeal grosgrain ribbon and a greeting made with the word window punch and the small and large oval punches. Simple but cute, right?


Well, I couldn't just let enough alone, so I decided to try to "bling it up" a bit. So on the second card I added "frosting" made with crystal effects and microbeads. I also colored the bottom of each layer with apricot appeal and added the groovy guava dots and I sponged the edges with groovy guava. I know the details are hard to see in the full card picture, so I took a detailed photo that hopefully shows the crystal effects and microbeads a little better.

So what do you think? Is the "bling" card better than the plain or vice versa? I honestly can't decide. I like the simplicity of the first design, but I also like the "sugar frosted" look of the second card. Help!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the 2nd card! I love the bling and the icing is um the icing on the cake LOL

Anonymous said...

They are both pretty - hard to decide. I think I'll have to vote "bling!" just because I admire all the hard work to get that sugary frosting look!

Anonymous said...

I like the icing - but I think I would like it better with the colors on the first card! How's that?! LOL

Holly Young said...

I like the first card better, but I think I'd add the sponging around the main image like you did in the second one. They're both great card though!

Diane said...

Hi Sue, I tried doing the second card with just the colors of the first, but I found that when I put the crystal effects adn microbeads over the groovy guava the color got kind of lost and the whole card looked washed out. That's why i added the almost apricot. I'll try again tonight , this time making the groovy guava a little darker before I add the CE.

Anonymous said...

I like the colors of the first card, but would add the apricot edging to it. SusanH

Diane said...

I must say I like the bling one best!! But they are both cute!

Lisa Carroll said...

Oh my gosh... they are both so cute...! I guess I really like the clean, no-fuss look of the first card, but I bet that "bling" on the second card is just too adorable as well! I don't think I can pick! LOL :S

Anonymous said...

I think I like the clean look of the first card. Did you tint the CF with the apricot before applying?? It's really hard to tell what the second card looks like from the photo.