Sunday, August 12, 2007

Punched from the heart

Remember how much I love finding uses for punches that are a little out of the norm? And remember how once upon a time I bemoaned the retirement of the snowflake punch not just because it made such cute snowflakes but also because I found a second use for it -- cute little corner hearts? Well, I'm happy to report that I've been getting punchy again, and today, though a happy coincidence, I found that while I may have lost my little corner hearts, Stampin' Up! has provided me with a jumbo replacement. What do I mean? Just wait and see!


Today I was designing 2 Make and Take cards for Kathy's party this Tuesday. The first card came together in a jiffy, but the second just didn't seem right. My friend Karen, who came over to drop off some stuff and check out my convention swaps agreed -- the design just wasn't right. So while we were chatting and she looked over my swaps, I was playing around with some scraps and the new scalloped circle punch. And that's how I found the jumbo hearts! Soon enough the whole card came together and I knew I just had to share this little find with all of you!


To start you need the new Stampin' Up! scalloped circle punch as well as two pieces of contracting card stock that are the same size (I used 2.25x2.5" pieces of whisper white and groovy guava card stock). Although not necessary, I also like to have another piece of a third coordinating color card stock that is .25" larger in each dimension for a mat.


Place a corner of the piece of card stock intended to go on top in the scalloped circle punch so that what you see inside the punch is a heart shape. Punch and repeat on all four corners.


This is what your card stock should look like when all 4 corners are punched.



Adhere the punched piece on top of the other piece of card stock that is the same size. You should now be able to see hearts in all 4 corners.

Mat the punched piece with the larger piece of card stock to make the heart shapes even more prominent, as in this photo. the larger layer is close to cocoa.





And this is what I did with my punched piece. I used the heart image from the simply said set and stamped it in groovy guava. I then used the sentiment outline and stamped that in close to cocoa. I used Sahara sand card stock as a card base, placed a strip of the prints double sided designer paper in groovy guava across the card and added a strip of close to cocoa card stock with a double stitched groovy guava ribbon knotted and wrapped around. I added my punched piece with dimensionals and stamped the "simply said" sentiment in the lower right hand corner. And what do you think? Is that a stinking cute party make and take or what? I sure hope the party guests think so. Can't wait to find out on Tuesday.

11 comments:

Julie ~ Jades Butterflies! said...

oh Diane...you are fab! Hats off to you today girl! Oh and you so can use those little hearts...my wheels are turning for February...scallops and hearts!!! Thank you so very much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

That is just too cute! TFS!

ktstamps said...

Well you did it agian! You are incredible. Thank you for sharingyour tips with us! I can't wait to try this! Have a great day! kt

Deborah said...

How clever you are my dear! Great use of the new SU punch! I also love the colors you selected. TFS- Please stop by and visit me soon! Deb~

Lisa Carroll said...

Ingenious! TFS :)

Debbi said...

What a wonderful idea, Thanks so much for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

WOW! What an awesome idea! I can't wait for my next class to share this with my customers!

Stacey said...

OMG!! This card is tooo cute!!! Im totally going to scraplift this one!

Anonymous said...

Pure genius. Love it when you can use a tool more ways than one. TFS.

Joyce

Diane said...

That is so neat Diane!!!

Vera said...

What a great idea, Diane! Thanks so much for sharing!