Tuesday, August 7, 2007

More challenge cards

Tonight I managed to finish and photograph both of my cards for this week's challenge. Both of them are 4.25" square. I really like this format, especially since you can fit these cards into regular A2 envelopes and avoid paying the extra postage the post office charges for square envelopes.

On this first card I used the Wanted set that we got for free at convention as well as the Party Punch Level 1 hostess set. I love how the big round stamp from the wanted set fits perfectly into the new scalloped circle punch and how well the other circle punches coordinate with the other images on this stamp. Here I first punched a really rust scalloped circle, then I stamped the image in really rust on so saffron card stock and punched it out with the scalloped circle punch as well. I punched out the very center with my 1/2" circle punch. Then I stamped the image again in really rust ink on really rust card stock and punched out the center with the 1 3/8" circle punch. I layered all of these together and wanted to put them together using a tempting turquoise brad, but realized too late that I forgot to order these. No problem -- I just punched out a 1/8" circle with the handheld punch and added it to the center of the image using 2 way glue.

I included a photo of the inspiration jacket in the corner so you can judge for yourself if the final card looks like the inspiration piece.

I used the baroque motifs set on the second card. The base is basic black and I stamped the sentiment on the front in whisper white craft ink. I then stamped alternating elegant eggplant and pale plum flowers onto whisper white card stock using the masking technique. I trimmed the bottom edge along the curve of the flower petals and punched holes in the flowers using 1/16 and 1/8" handheld circle punches. I stamped the flourish at the top using certainly celery ink and added some basic black flowers and black gingham ribbon. I again included a photo of the inspiration jacket so you can decide if I did the inspiration piece justice.

I'm not the only one playing tonight. My super talented friend Julie, a fellow demo, also created a card. Her card uses so saffron as a base, and you can really tell by looking at her card what a difference a predominant color can make. I love fall cards so I really like the card Julie stamped, and I'm especially happy to hear she is now using really rust, which happens to be one of my favorite Stampin' Up! colors. head on over to Julie's blog to check out her creation and be sure to leave her a lovely comment!

1 comment:

Julie ~ Jades Butterflies! said...

Great Cards Diane! I really like the 2nd one a lot! Oh, and by the way I need to watch the rules better...I forgot a color on mine, thats what I get for writing the rules down at 3am! My cards are so not square also, double duh! I am working on the second one...thanks for the mention and link!