Monday, July 2, 2007

A Visual Feast


Today I went to see a play with my friend Wende and I will talk more about that in a sec, but first I want to give props to my buddy Nancy Chassee, who stamped this gorgeous card for my Sunday Mornign challenge. Nancy used the Serene Sunflower set for her sage shadow background and the bee on the "closure" and the Touch of Nature set for the main image. She also used the spotlighting technique on the main image, which is such a fantastic technique but one that I have been afraid to try. I guess I'm just always afraid that i will not be able to lne things up properly, whcih I know is silly. But this card by Nancy may just have inspired me for good. Thanks for playing Nancy, adn thanks for the inspiration.

If you love this card as much as I do, be sure to leave Nancy a comment on this post! And there's still pleanty of time for other people to participate. I know the layout and colors are a little unconventional, but I think once you try them you will be glad you did!

So now for more news about the play. Wende, a fellow demonstrator who last week earned the Stampin' Up! incentive cruise to Bermuda -- Woo Hoo! -- has a wonderful husband who scored us free tickets for the opening night of the Mary Zimmerman play "Mirror to the invisible World", now playing at the Goodman Theater in Chicago. I was so excited about this! I really love Mary Zimmerman -- she is a fantastic director who really knows how to stage a production! How can I describe her plays in stamping terms? Well, they're kind of like cards by Waxyo (Meg Shumaker) and Markie's Mom (Faith Hofrichter) -- full of layers and layers of visually stunning details.

This play, like every other Mary Zimmerman play I've ever seen, was a feast for the senses. The set was gorgeous, the costumes were sumptuous, and even the music was fantastic! The play was a bit bawdy. It was adapted from an obscure poem about a prince who marries seven wives and pends each day of the week with a different wife as the wome regale him with stories. There are a lot of sexual references and innuendos, and my favorite line by far had to be "how can my unskilled tongue give you pleasure" delivered by a princess before she began her story. What a perfect double entendre! becasue the cast was made up of seven women and one man, the women played a lot of male roles as the stories unfolded. Wende and I both came to the conclusion that the play would have worked better if the women had been slightly more masculine when playign the male parts, but this was a minor flaw in this great, funny, and at times abit strange play. Overall I would highly recommend this production, even if you go for no other reasons than to see the set and costumes. It was a fantastic evening -- thanks Dave and Wende!

2 comments:

michelle sturgeon said...

This is so very pretty! Very soft, feminine...Love it!

Anonymous said...

I'm right with on the Sage Shadow! I almost never use it, but after your card at the swap and this color combo I am seeing it in a new light. Thanks.