Saturday, July 7, 2007

Serendipity


"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Tell the truth now -- do you know the meaning of the word Serendipity? Until today I sure didn't. Mind you, I had an idea of what it meant from the context I had heard it used in, and failure to know the exact definition didn't exactly stop me from using it it my speech, but I didn't know the real meaning until I decided that it would be the title of my post tonight and thought I should probably be darn sure it meant what I thought it meant before I made myself look like a total idiot.
The good news? I wasn't totally off base. The bad news? I wasn't right on target either. Apparently the definition of serendipity is "good luck in making unexpected and fortunate discoveries." Well, OK. Honestly, I thought it was more like a fortunate coincidence, but at least I knew the fortunate part, right? Oh well. You learn something new every day.
But the real good news is that the word still works as a title to this post, because my discussion of the Level 1 hostess sets yesterday led me to the discovery of this layout, which I mentioned I wanted to case, and that was fortunate because today's limited supplies challenge on SCS was to CASE a layout from the new catalog. So I didn't have to think about it at all -- I knew exactly the layout I wanted to CASE.
And here it it -- Card B from page 17 but with a different stamp set (Double Line Doodle instead of Event Full) and different colors (I used barely banana, not quite navy and purely pomegranate, thought he last did not scan so well). I followed the layout pretty closely but I chose not to use the brads (because they would have been visible on the inside of the card and I don't care for that) or the staple (because I think regular staples on cards are often just too stark). I know the scanner kind of washed out this card, but it looks really nice in real life!
I know I promised my reflections on the other hostess sets tonight, but it was a late stamping evening. But I'll be back tomorrow with more of my ramblings, so take cover!

No comments: