Saturday, March 10, 2007

How did they do that?

This morning at the party pieces scrap class Wendi asked an interesting question -- how did SU get two colors on the same wheel on the card on page 4 of the Idea Book and Catalog? After looking at the recipe, my best guess was that they rolled the wheel in cool Caribbean ink, and then hand markered the dots and dotted circles in old olive. But, of course, I needed to find out if this could work, so a challenge was born.

Not having the wheel in question, I used Polka Dot Blocks. I inked up the wheel on a real red ink pad, then wiped off the red ink from the "frames and markered them in handsome hunter. I wheeled across a strip of very vanilla and, PRESTO, it worked! So then all I had to do was add the cute stockings from Little Somethings and color them with markers. I also sponged the squares with real red. I matted the very vanilla strip with a strip of real red which I scalloped using the small corner rounder punch. I created the "lace" effect with the 1/16" handheld circle punch. I stamped the sentiment in versamark and heat embossed it with vanilla embossing powder. And Voila, not only did I get to practice a new technique (which is somewhat laborious, but produces cool results), I also have another Christmas card done. Hurrah!

No comments: