Thursday, July 24, 2008

Block Birthday


Tonight's card features the Block Party stamp set, which I fell in love with as soon as I first saw it in the catalog. For this card I stamped a portion of the birthday greetings image in purely pomegranate ink on whisper white card stock. I added a groovy guava mat and a river rock cheater bow using narrow satin ribbon from the Theater ribbon originals collection. I then added a mat of purely pomegranate. The main image on this card is not stamped at all -- it's created with the scalloped punch, some designer paper and a crimper. I cut a piece of designer paper from the ginger blossoms collection for the cupcake bottom and ran it through the paper crimper. For the cupcake top I punched a scalloped circle out of purely pomegranate card stock and stamped it with the swirl pattern from the background basics set in whisper white craft ink. I used another piece of designer paper from the Ginger Blossoms assortment for the candle and I hand-cut the "flame" from the discarded half of the scalloped purely pomegranate circle, drawing in a "wick" with the fine tip of a chocolate chip marker..
I mounted a mat of purely pomegranate card stock and groovy guava prints designer series paper to the river rock base. I then added the sentiment and, finally, I layered on the cupcake. (By the way, the cupcake was not my idea. I don't know where I saw it first -- it could have been SCS or a blog. If anyone knows who came up with this idea first please leave a comment to this post and I will update the post accordingly.)
It's not a fancy card but I think it works.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So clever and cute, Diane! I'm keeping it for, say, future reference? ;-D TFS Love the crimped cupcake paper!

Holly Young said...

Oh what a winner! I love this cute idea for a cupcake!