Friday, December 19, 2008

Pringle All the Way

Tonight I was experimenting with a new idea. I wanted to figure out a cool way to package a stamped candle -- something a little bit different than a gift bag stuffed with tissue. Then it struck me that a Pringles can was the perfect cylindrical packaging. All it needed was a little dressing up.
I started with the cap. I added some sticky strip along the side lip and attached a strip of kraft card stock. I then used my coluzzle to cut a circle for the top of the lid. Unfortunately, this circle does not quite cover the entire top, so I had to think of something to cover up the rest. I decided to use another piece of sticky strip on the outside of the top of the kraft strip. I added some tombow mono multi glue to the edge of the top of the lid (you can see the top of the lid in the second photo). Then I sprinkeled some chunky red glitter liberally over the entire lid, shaking off the excess. The lid still looked a little bare, so I added a second strip of sticky strip along the bottom of the Kraft strip and covered that with red chunky glitter as well.

Next I covered the pringles can with a piece of old olive card stock. I then stamped the "noel" sentiment from the Big On Christmas set on naturals white card stock with ticket corner punched corners. I colored the ornament with old olive and going gray marker, the filled in the letters and portions of the ornament with tombow mono multi glue and, once again, added the chunky red glitter.
I attached the naturals white card stock to a mat of kraft card stock, and used real red brads to attach the whole thing to a wide strip of real red card stock that had been run through crimper.
That was it. As you can see in the second photo, this cylinder coordinated very well with the candle I stamped last year using the Big on Christmas and Ornamassortment stamp sets. the candle is a bit shorter than the cylinder, but I will simply stuff some tissue on the bottom of the can to eliminate that as a problem.
IF you plan on doing this project at home, here's a couple of hints. Make sure you stick the sentiment to the crimped card stock really well to make sure it does not go back to it's natural straight state. Also, keep in mind that the Pringles lids snap on for freshness, which makes taking the completed lid off a little challenging. Not impossible, but a bit challenging.
While I don't necessarily love this particular cylinder (I think it's a bit plain) I do like the idea of using Pringles cans to package gifts. Hopefully, now that I've worked up a prototype and know what I'm doing from the "construction" perspective, the next few cylinders will be prettier!

2 comments:

Jana O'Brien said...

This is just adorable, Diane! P.S. Some of your post is missing.

Anonymous said...

This is a good idea, and I like the result...I especially like the new lid...now that you know the measurements, maybe you could figure out a way to leave the pringles lid out all together so the lid would just slide right off and on....again, thanks for sharing the idea!