Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Green inspiration

I know what you're thinking. The title for the post is green inspiration and there's absolutely no green on the card. What gives?

Well, it's not that kind of green. It's the kind of green that makes us reduce, reuse and recycle. In this case I'm reusing an item that most people probably toss away every day. But hey, I think it's really cute. Can you guess what it is?

Before I get to that, let me tell you about the card. I used riding hood red card stock for the base and stamped the sentiment from Heard from the Heart in chocolate chip ink. Next I added a strip of bella rose designer series paper, a strip of chocolate chip card stock, scalloped on one side with the scalloped edge punch. I stamped the flower from the Eastern Blooms set in riding hood red on whisper white card stock and trimmed the flower out with my paper snips. I added a half-pearl from the pretties kit to the center, and adhered the flower to a piece of chocolate chip card stock punched with the new wide oval punch. I punched 2 1/8" holes on either side of the oval and slipped through some new riding hood red taffeta ribbon. Then I attached the oval and the ribbon to my reused substance and attached the whole thing to the card front.

And just what is the reused item? It's a coffee cup collar. You know, the thing that prevents you from burning yourself as you're holding your scorching cup of coffee? I found this style in our work cafeteria and I really liked it. In addition to the cute print on one side, the whole thing is textured and it's completely white on the reverse side. So even though I usually stick to using only Stampin' Up! products on my cards, I just couldn't resist using this little gem. All I did was cut a piece to size with my desktop paper cutter and lightly brayered on some pink pirouette ink. This left the "peaks" of the collar pink and the "valleys" white -- a really nice effect.

Hope you liked my little "green inspired" card. I'll be back tomorrow with another Halloween treat holder!

2 comments:

LaunchingProjectH said...

At first I thought, "This blogger is insane! Her card is RED--not green!" LOL What a neat idea though. I'm going to have to do some green challenges on my blog.

Thanks for sharing!

Stampin_Melissa said...

What a great idea! I had to look twice to figure out what you were reusing! LOL!