Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Father's Day inspiration

Tonight I want to show you the second card I made based on this Sunday's Pillow CASE challenge. Admittedly, this is not a CASE (for those of you who have been puzzled by what CASE stands for -- it's Copy and Share Everything -- stamper's lingo for copying someone else's design). Rather than attempting to use the pillow design as a main feature on my card, I used it to create a color palette and I also created a "faux designer paper" strip to mirror the stripes on the pillow. (you can actually visualize this better if you look at the second photo, which shows the pillow in the same orientation as the stripes on the card.

Anyway, the color palette of this pillow seemed very masculine to me, so right away I knew that I would like to use it to make a Father's Day card. I grabbed my new For Father stamp set from the Occasions mini catalog and decided to go with the apple image. I stamped the image on naturals ivory card stock in basic brown ink and colored it using an aqua painter and classic inks in ruby red, old olive, more mustard, soft sky and chocolate chip. After the water coloring dried I used the fine tip of the chocolate chip stampin' write marker to color in the "Apples" sign.

I added a chocolate chip mat to the main image along with a picture hanger and brad from the aged copper hodgepodge hardware assortment and some more mustard narrow grosgrain ribbon. I attached the "faux designer paper" strip and the main image to the ruby red card base and added the Happy Father's Day sentiment from All Holidays which I stamped in basic brown on naturals ivory card stock and then cut apart into three pieces.

While this card may not be totally in the spirit of a CASE challenge, it's a good example of the ways you can use just about anything around you to inspire your artwork. So if you ever feel stuck just grab some fliers, catalogs or magazines and I guarantee within a few minutes you'll find the perfect jumping off point for your next creation!

3 comments:

Sandy in NH said...

AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED YOU CAME VERY CLOSE TO THE PILLOW!!MIT CERTAINLY IS A NEW WAY TO GET DESIGNER PAPER, DESIGNED BY YOURSELF!

Nikki Bond said...

Gorgeous card Diane! What a wonderful way to use the inspiration! {SMILES}

Diane said...

I love it Diane!!! Love the colors!