Thursday, July 20, 2017

Warm Window Wishes

Today I made a window card. Hopefully you can see the corner of the inside of the card base behind the snowmen.

I had a totally different idea for a card when I went into my stamp room, but somehow it morphed into this. I'm happy with the final result, even though die cutting the windows turned out to be more difficult than I first thought. For some reason the camera isn't capturing the vibrancy of green galore. This card looks much "happier" in real life.

The snowmen were stamped on a window sheet with black stayzon ink and colored in using Bic permanent markers and a sharpie waterbased white paint marker. The red mat was stamped with snowflakes from the Snowflakes set in versamark ink. The sentiment from the Snowflakes set was stamped on glorious green in versamark and embossed with white embossing powder, and then die cut using one of the ovals from a Sizzix Ovals Framelits assortment (these are narrower than the Stampin' Up! oval framelits).

I used glorious green and real red for the mat and white for the card base. I die cut the window in the base and the mats using Stampin' Up! Ovals Framelits and used partial pressure to make sure I only cut part of the oval. This actually took several passes through the big shot and some manual trimming with my craft knife and a metal edge ruler to make the straight edge. A bit of a pain, to be honest, but it turned out OK in the end.

Once everything was cut to size, I attached the acetate to the red mat with SNAIL adhesive and hand trimmed it around the oval. I then attached it to the green mat. I added the white baker's twine bow and the sentiment to the front and then attached the whole assembly to the white card base, making sure to match up the die cut windows. I toyed with stamping the inside of the card with snowflakes, but decided to leave well enough alone so as not to distract from the cute snowmen.

Definitely not a card to mass produce, but it will hopefully make a nice surprise for someone worthy of a special card.

Recipe:

Paper: Whisper White, REal Red, Green Galore, Window Sheet
Ink: Versamark, Black Stayzon, Bic permanent markers, Sharpie water based white paint marker
Stamps: Snowflakes, The World Over
Accessories: White Embossing Powder, Sizzix Ovals Framelits, Stampin' Up! Ovals Framelits, white baker's twine

No comments: