Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Bargello Birthday

One of the techniques Sabrina pointed us to in the write up for her Ways To Use paper strips challenge last week was the Bargello technique. This technique involves first creating a pattern using a bunch of different stips and then turning it 90 degrees and cutting that pattern into additional strips which can then be offset in a variety of designs. I've seen beautiful cards made with this technique but never tried it myself, so I decided this was the perfect time to do it.

The strips I used were not designer paper. Don't get me wrong, I have tons of designer paper strips in my scrap box, but I also happened to have these scrap strips on my work table from another project. So if they're not designer paper, what are they? They're patterned file folders I picked up a while back at my local Target. The original price of $1.00 for 3 was not bad, but I got them on clearance at a significant discount so they were well worth it.

I bought the folders as well as coordinating small 3 ring binders to make card holders. I cut each file folder in half and used them to make six pockets for inside the binder. The project left me with strips of the three folders and I had no idea what to do with them until I read this week's challenge.

I really liked how this technique let me use all three of the outside folder patterns and even the inside solid part, which is a lovely metallic rose gold color to match the dots on the outside. I cut my strips from the striped pattern you can see in this picture and offset them to create my background. I  then pondered what stamped elements to add that would work with the design without taking too much attention from it. I settled on the image and sentiment combo from the Happiest Birthday Wishes set, which I inked up using the marker to stamp technique.

I stamped the image on whisper white card stock and punched it out using the extra large oval punch. I cut a scalloped oval mat for the sentiment out of Only Orange card stock using a framelit from the Message Frames assortment by Sizzix (it came with a coordinating stamp set from Hero Arts, which I did not use on this card). I then used my double rectangle punch to punch holes on both sides of the oval and wove in narrow black grosgrain ribbon. I attached the sentiment to the mat over the ribbon with dimensionals and attached the matted sentiment to the striped background. I added a basic black mat and attached the whole thing to a coastal cabana card base.

Recipe (all products Stampin' Up! except as otherwise specified):

Paper: coastal cabana, only orange, basic black, whisper white, Target patterned file folders
Ink: basic black, coastal cabana, only orange (all in markers)
Stamps: Happiest Birthday Wishes
Accessories: Extra large oval punch, double rectangle punch, narrow black grosgrain ribbon, Message Frames Framelits assortment from Sizzix.

P.S. I'll be heading to my Target tomorrow to see if there's anything worthwhile in the post 4th of July clearance bin.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Michael Chabon said...

Thiis is a great post thanks