Monday, July 3, 2017

Shaving cream embossing

The Technique challenge on SCS today had stampers looking back to shaving cream. I really love the shaving cream technique, but I was especially intrigued by a link to a tutorial for shaving cream stenciling. Once again I found myself intrigued by a technique, but none of the few stencils in my collection called to me. Still, the wheels kept spinning and I began to wonder if there was a way to use a similar technique in an embossing folder.

I'd tried inking up an embossing folder, but the downside of that technique is that the ink covers the non-embossed portion of the card. It's a neat look, but I kept wishing I could color the embossed part. Shaving cream colored with reinkers seemed like a good way to get color into the crevices which would become embossed.

So how did it go? Let's call it an experiment in progress. My first two attempts, which are used on this card, were not as great as I'd hoped. I did learn that I'd get a better result using folders with smaller and more uniform patterns. I also think fewer colors would be better, or maybe three colors but from the same color family so that when they are mixed they would not get as muddy. Finally, I need to come up with a  way to better wipe the shaving cream off the flat part of the folder without disturbing the shaving cream in the crevices. I have an idea how to do it, but I need more time to try it out.

I'll post here if the technique gets more refined. In the meantime, today's card is a little bit busy but, as my hubby said, that makes it festive :)

Recipe (products Stampin' Up! unless otherwise indicated)

Paper: yo yo yellow, brilliant blue, only orange, whisper white
Ink: yo yo yellow, brilliant blue, only orange
Stamps: Birthday Whimsy
Accessories: Darice Circles embossing folder, Sizzix embossing folder form Birthday Surprises assortment; Sizzix Framelits coordinating with Echo Park Everyday stamp set 

No comments: