Monday, July 31, 2017

Organic Thanks

The "try a new technique" challenge on Splitcoast Stampers today asked us to use salt and glossy card stock to make a background. I tried, but the end result was rather disappointing. Maybe it was the fact that the only salt I had was table salt, or maybe it was trying to dry the cardstock with a heat tool instead of waiting patiently, but when I scraped off the salt it left no evidence of its presence behind. That's the bad news.

The somewhat better news is that the background itself was a salvageable soft watercolor, so I decided to use it anyway. I was already combining today's challenge with last week's color combo challenge, and since the salt thing went bust I decide to add in last week's sketch challenge and last week's ways to use it challenge by heat embossing the images from the Organic Grace set and the sentiment from the So Many Sayings set with wild wasabi embossing powder.

I cut out a portion of the background and used it for the panel on which I stamped the fern. I stamped the sentiment on a strip of glossy cardstock that I colored with daffodil delight ink and an aquapainter. I stamped the dragonfly on a piece of glossy card stock as well, colored it with pacific point ink and an aquapainter and fussy cut it out so I could mount it to the background panel using dimensionals. I like the final product, I only wish I had actually managed to make the salt technique work.

Recipe:
Paper: glossy white, daffodil delight, wild wasabi, pacific point
Ink: daffodil delight, wild wasabi, pacific point, versamark
Stamps: Organic Grace, So Many Sayings
Accessories: Aquapainter, wild wasabi embossing powder

No comments: