Monday, July 17, 2017

Neon Chalkboard Plaid

Today's Try a New Technique challenge on Splitcoast Stampers was to incorporate DIY plaid. Even after watching the excellent tutorial, I'll admit this was super intimidating, mostly because I'm definitely not good at drawing straight lines. Still, I just got a set of liquid chalk markers that have interchangeable chisel and bullet tips, and this seemed like a good technique not only to play with the markers but also the tips.

I thought the best way to test chalk markers would be on black cardstock. I decided to use one marker (the blue) with the wider chisel tip and two (green and purple) with the narrower bullet tips. The grid on my Stampin' Up! paper mat helped me stay somewhat straight as I drew my lines. I was actually really happy with the background even when I only had lines drawn in one direction, but since the challenge was to use plaid, I went ahead and finished the other set of lines too.

The background ended up so bright, it made me think of birthday celebrations and balloons. I die cut the balloon and the sentiment from white card stock and decorated the balloon with dots using the same three markers I used for the background. Once I attached the die cuts to the background, the card only needed a white base.

I'm really happy with the card, the markers and the new technique. Big thanks to Sabrina, the challenge, hostess, for steering us to this technique. And since last week's Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge was also to use plaid, I'll be posting this card to that challenge as well.

Recipe:

Paper: Black, White
Ink: Blue, Purple and Green Liquid Chalk Cedar Markers
Accessories: Jen Long Happy Birthday To You Thinlit from Sizzix, Stephanie Barnard Balloons Triplits from Sizzix

1 comment:

Tracy Freeman said...

Such a fun card, love the colours !
Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge x