Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Time to Wish Big

I guess one Tim Holtz inspired card wasn't enough. I was on a roll and decided to make another, this one more masculine. I was inspired by this clock card and this clock tag. I'm still a long way from truly capturing Tim's style, but I'm reasonably satisfied with the way this card turned out.

As with the Perfect Form Birthday card, I'm including pictures and descriptions of the process. My blog audience is small to nonexistent right now, so no one may care, but if nothing else, it will refresh my recollection if I ever try again down the road. It's like having  a visual diary of my stamping journey.


1.  I started by stamping a collage background on a piece of basic gray card stock. I used the memento tuxedo black ink to stamp the clock images from the Sense of Time and Clockworks sets. I then stamped the grid and
swirls from the Clockworks set in crushed curry ink and the splatter from the Gorgeous Grunge set with marina mist ink. I added the vertical lines form the Gorgeous Grunge set with soft suede ink and the diagonal line pattern with basic gray ink. If I had to do it again, I think I would have heat embossed the clock images in black. Something to consider for next time.

2.  The next step was to add a few gears that I die cut out of brushed silver card stock using the Tim Holtz Gadget Gears die by Sizzix. I like the shine that the brushed silver cardstock adds to the background.

3.  Maybe I should have left well enough alone at this point, but I felt this need to do one more thing, so I ran the background through the big shot in the Print Blocks Set embossing folder by Sizzix. I then sponged the card with basic gray ink to make the letters stand out more. I then mounted the background on the front of a smoky slate card base.

4. With the card base done, I moved on to the other elements. While working on my Father's Day Tool Box card the other day, I stamped a piece of bliss blue card stock with the gears from the Sense of Time and Clockworks sets. While I didn't like this piece on the other card, it was perfect for this one. Of course, I couldn't just leave it there. I sponged the card stock with basic gray ink and the edges with soft suede ink. I punched gears using the Stampin' Up! Extra-Large Cogs Double Punch and basic gray card stock and glued them to the bliss blue layer, then I inserted it into the tag topper punch before running it through the big shot in a Clocks embossing folder by Sizzix. To make the embossed clock images more prominent, I sponged them with whisper white craft ink. Again, in retrospect I might have sponged them with silver ink. To finish the tag, I tied basic gray taffeta ribbon through the tag hole.

5. For the sentiment, I wanted to use the ticket motif.  I stamped an image form the That's the Ticket set in memento tuxedo black ink onto kraft card stock and punched out the image using the ticket duo punch. I stamped the ticket with the Happy Birthday greeting from the King of the Grill set  in the same black ink, but it just wasn't enough. I realized that the word "Happy" would fit into the mini ticket on the Ticket Duo punch, so I stamped in it black on Bliss Blue card stock and punched it out, attaching the mini ticket to the kraft ticket. I sponged the edges of the ticket in soft suede ink and then called this element done.

6. The clock is from the Clocks set from Graphic 45 by Sizzix, which also comes with coordinating framelits. I stamped the clock in memento tuxedo black ink onto kraft card stock, and then used Stampin' Blendabilities markers to color portions of the frame. I stamped the image of the face onto crushed curry card stock and cut it out using one of the framelits from the Stampin' Up! circles collection  before attaching it onto the main clock image. I stamped the face again onto whisper white card stock and colored the small second clock with stampin' blendability marker before cutting it out by hand and attaching it to the crushed curry clock face. I stamped the clock hands onto bliss blue and the pendulum onto crushed curry card stock and die cut them using coordinating framelits. I attached the clock hands to the clock with a black brad and glued on the pendelum. Last but not least, I stamped the "wish big" sentiment fom the Pennant Parade set onto crushed curry card stock and die cut it with the smallest circle from the Stampin' Up! circles collection framelits before attaching it at the bottom of the pendulum with a dimensional. You can see this on the final card. Fun fact: this clock is the only thing on the card that I did not sponge.

Another fun fact: this is the same color combination I used on the Father's Day card last week. I really liked it and all the inks and papers were still out on my stamping table, plus I think they worked well with this theme as well. I cleaned up now, so I probably won't use this color combo again for a while.


7. The last step was to attach the layers of elements to the card base. With only three elements, it was easy to settle on a layout.

So what do you think of my Time to Wish Big card? Leave a comment to let me know. I'd love to hear from you.

Recipe (all products Stampin' Up! unless otherwise indicated):
Paper: basic gray, kraft, whisper white, smoky slate, crushed curry, bliss blue, brushed silver
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Basic Gray, Soft Suede, Crushed Curry, Marina Mist, Whisper White craft, Stampin' Blendabilities from the night of navy, daffodil delight and skin tone assortments
Stamps: Sense of Time, Clockworks, Gorgeous Grunge, That's the Ticket, Pennant Parade, King of the Grill, Clocks by Graphic 45 from Sizzix
Accessories: Ticket Duo Punch, Extra-Large Cogs Double Punch, Angled Tag Topper Punch, Circles Collection Framelits, Basic Gray Taffeta Ribbon, black brad, dimensionals, Tim Holtz Gadget Gears die by Sizzix, Clocks framelits by Sizzix, Clocks and Print Blocks Set Embossing Folders by Sizzix.



No comments: