Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Perfect Form Birthday


This card was so much fun to make, even though it took quite a bit of time to get it just right. I was prompted to make it by Saturday's Inspiration Challenge on Splitcoast Stampers, which was to make a card inspired by Tim Holtz. Now, I'm a big fan of Tim's style, but it's far more elaborate than my typical cards. Still, challenges are a great way to unleash untapped creativity, so I jumped right in. Happily, I found a great  inspiration card that worked with the supplies I had in my stamp room.  You can find the card that inspired me here.

My card isn't as bold as the inspiration, but it includes many of the inspiration elements. I love the way it turned out and I know exactly who I'm going to give it to when it comes time for her birthday.

Here are the details on the making of the card:

1. I started with a so saffron base, to which I added a layer in crumb cake and very vanilla (layers pictured here). The crumb cake layer could have been blank, but I happened to have a piece left over from another project using collage stamping and I liked the way the Woodgrain stamped image peeked out from underneath the very vanilla layer edges.

2. The very vanilla layer was embossed with two different embossing folders, both from Sizzix. I've been wanting to use the  Sewing embossing folder forever, and finally found the right project. Because I wanted the image of the scissors to be visible horizontally  on top of the card (where it ordinarily would be vertically in the center,) I actually used the folder twice. I changed the orientation of the folder to place the scissors near the top, and then I used partial pressure and the normal orientation to emboss the bottom. This left the space on the left side a little too blank, so I added the corner swirls from the Flourish embossing folder by Sizzix, using more partial pressure so as not to disturb the other embossed portions. I stamped the blank spaces with the flower image from Bella's Blossoms in pink pirouette and then sponged the layer with pink pirouette and crumb cake ink. Finally, I sponged the edges of the layer with soft suede ink.

3.  The pink pirouette layer was also more complicated than I first anticipated. On the inspiration card, this layer includes bold newsprint and ad images. I initially thought the quilt image from Inkadinkado would work great as a substitute (I included the stamp in the photo to show the full image). However, once stamped, I thought this image was too busy and stole focus from the rest of the card. Rather than discard it completely, I decided to use the quilt border while adding a pink pirouette layer on top that was stamped with images fom the Stitched Exotics set in crumb cake and pink pirouette inks. I sponged the edges of both of these layers with soft suede ink.

4. I also added the embossed buttons made with the Stampin' Up! sweet buttons embosslit. I lightly sponged the buttons with whisper white craft ink to make the embossing stand out.

5. I stamped the sentiment form the I Like Your Style set in soft suede on very vanilla and punched it out with the scalloped oval punch. The larger So Saffron scalloped oval was die cut using the Stampin' Up! magnetic movers and shapers punch window assortment.

6. The dress form was die cut using the dress up framelits from Stampin' Up! The ball on top of the dress form started out as a clock hand in the Clocks stamp and coordinating framelit set from Sizzix. I trimmed it with scissors so that it would not show on the sides of the dress form neck. I show the back of it in this photo because it makes it easier to see how the three pieces were put together. In the photo of the finished card you can also see I embossed the dress form with the diamonds embossing folder from Sizzix and sponged it with pink pirouette ink in the center and soft suede ink on the edges.

7. I also show the deconstructed button/bow combination. The button was die cut in soft suede and pink pirouette using the buttons #7 sizzlit from Sizzix. I then used the perforated line on the button as a guide to cut away the pink pirouette petals, leaving just the center, which I layered on top of the soft suede flower button. I threaded natural hemp twine through the button holes, wrapped the twine around the middle of the dress form and tied it into a bow.

8. The final touch was adding a safety pin from the Stampin' Up! vintage trinkets assortment to the very vanilla layer and tying a piece of pink gingham ribbon to the safety pin.

This was by no means a quick and easy project, but the end result was well worth the effort.

If you're still reading this, please do leave me a comment here or on Splitcoast to let me know what you think. Feedback, good or bad, is always appreciated.

Recipe (all products Stampin' Up! Unless otherwise indicated):
Ink: crumb cake, pink pirouette, soft suede, whisper white craft
Paper: so saffron, pink pirouette, crumb cake, very vanilla, soft suede
Stamps: I Like your Style, Bella's Bloom, Stitched Exotics, Woodgrain, Quilt image from Galerie Vernissage by Inkadinkado
Accessories: scalloped oval punch. magnetic movers and shapers punch windows assortment, vintage trinkets, pink gingham ribbon, natural hemp twine, sweet buttons embosslit, dress up framelits, clocks framelits by Sizzix, fleurish, sewing and diamonds embossing folders by Sizzix

No comments: