Thursday, June 15, 2017

Thursday Throwback - Newlywed Hearts

I made this card back in 2015 for my step-sister's wedding. The wedding colors were turquoise and lime green, so I made a card to match using tempting turquoise and green galore.

I had seen many cards that use hearts to represent the bride and groom, so I did the same but on steroids. I used the entire 8.5x11 sheet of tempting turquoise for a base, scored at 2.75 and 5.5 inches. I used one the framelits from the hearts collection to partially cut two adjoining cards at the top of the card base. I wish I had thought to take interim pictures, because this part was actually fairly involved and I was so glad when it actually turned out the way I wanted. Not sure if this explanation will be of much help without the visuals, but I die cut one partial heart at a time and used the magnetic platform with the long narrow plates normally used for decorative strips to help me apply partial pressure exactly where I needed it. I used the same technique and the same size framelit to cut the green galore mat. It might have been easier to just die cut the hearts and glue them in place, but the card wouldn't have looked as seamless.

I used the same size framelits to make the bride and groom hearts from whisper white and basic black card stock. I die cut the white heart twice. The first was to serve a shirt behind the 'V" I cut freehand in the black card to create a tuxedo jacket look. I embossed the "shirt" heart with the striped embossing folder, making sure that one of the raised stripes was in the center of the heart to look like the button ridge on a shirt. I added black brad buttons, a green galore grosgrain bow and a boutonnière made with a small flower from the Pretties Kit with a turquoise glimmer brad center. I embossed the bride heart with the hearts border embossing folder from the Adorning Accents assortment. Since this is not a full size folder, I had to carefully line up the hearts and the plates as I ran the heart through the big shot several times to cover the entire heart. I added some white organdy ribbon topped with lace ribbon from the Dress Up Ribbon Originals assortment and the added several layered flowers from the Pretties Kit for the bouquet with turquoise and green glimmer brad centers.

To finish the card I stamped the three sentiments from the Cheers to Love set in versamark ink on tempring turquoise cardstock. I then heat embossed them with white embossing powder. I punched the Mr. and Mrs. sentiments with the large heart punch. The "for the newlyweds sentiment was originally cut using a framelit from the apothecary accents assortment - the one that is rectangular with two semicircles at the ends. I then made a straight cut at the bottom of the semicircles to create the rounded edges. I made the rounded top edge with a framelit, but I honestly can't remember if it was a circle or an oval or another framelit from the apothecary accent. Suffice it to say, I didn't make this shape freehand. If I had to re-create the card I'd try different framelits and choose the one that best follows the arc of the sentiment.

I include a side-view picture of the card to show how it's supported. Because the top was die cut and because the card itself was rather large and heavy, I used the other half of the card stock to make a support for the card front to lean against with a more normal top fold for the inside. It made the inside of the card only 2.75" x 8.5" (2.5x8 for the white mat) but that was plenty of space to stamp in a sentiment from the Word Play set in tempting turquoise ink and write in our good wishes.

Recipe (all products Stampin' Up!")

Paper: tempting turquoise, green galore, whisper white, basic black
Ink: versamark, tempting turquoise for inside
Stamps: Cheers to Love, Word Play
Accessories: Pretties Kit, Brights Glimmer Brads, Hearts Framelits Assortment, Large Heart Punch, Apothecary Accents Framelits Assortment, Black Brads, Green Galore Grosgrain Ribbon, White wide organdy ribbon, Lace ribbon from Dress Up Ribbon Originals pack, Stripes Embossing Folder, Hearts border Embossing Folder from Adorning Accents assortment, white embossing powder.

No comments: