Thursday, November 13, 2008

photo holder ornament

Does this ever happen to you? You find something in a store that you think is neat and the price is right and you're certain you can turn it into something really fun and useful but when you get it home it just goes into a box or a back of a drawer and you never realize its true potential? I hope someone out there answered yes, because I sure would not want to be alone on this one.


Anyway, a couple of years ago I found these round white photo holders. They were kind of plain, but nicely finished in the back (with a velvet backing, no less, as shown in this photo) and I just knew I could alter them in some way with stamping that would punch them up a bit. But then I set them aside and, frankly, completely forgot about them until the other day, when I was cleaning out a closet and came across them again.


Not wanting to forget again, I decided to decorate one right away. I was thrilled to find that one of the coluzzle circles was a perfect for to cover the front of the photo holder. Even though the space for the photo on the original holders was square, cutting out that square would be really difficult so I opted to go with another circle in the center cut out with the coluzzle. For this holder I used a piece of scrap decorative card stock from an old simply scrappin' kit (sorry, I can't remember the name). I colored the dots and some of the stripes with my gold painty to add some shimmer. I then added some small stars punched out of the brushed gold card stock and a sentiment from so many sayings stamped in real red on whisper white, punched out with the word window punch and layered on top of a large oval punched form the brushed gold card stock. I threaded some real red 1/4" grosgrain ribbon through the pre-drilled home at the top of the photo holder. I then adhered the decorated designer cards stock over the front of the photo holder. Finally I found a photo to insert on top of this week's TV listing book -- the chick form King of Queens. I would have put in a photo of someone I knew, but there wasn't time to get the size right.

So there you have it. A fun photo-holder ornament for the Christmas tree. I can't wait to make more.

No comments: