Tuesday, November 18, 2008

On Board Scrapbook Centerpiece

Tonight's project is a sample of the scrapbook centerpiece we'll be making at my December Itasca Community Library class. I love this project for so many reasons. First, it takes scrap booking out of the album and into home decor, allowing us to share this craft with everyone who enters the home. Second, it's decorated on both sides, so it's pretty from any angle. And third, because one side is seasonal, it can be kept out long after the other Holiday decorations are put away.

To make this project I started with one piece of the large on board book basics (they come 4 to a pack, so you can make one for yourself and give three away or make one for each season of the year). For the Christmas side, I covered it with riding hood red card stock and old olive patterns designer series paper, with a piece of the riding hood red striped ribbon from the holiday mini covering the seam. I used an image form the Big on Christmas set as my title, stamping it in basic black on naturals ivory card stock and coloring with a blender pen and stampin' write markers. I added a riding hood red mat to make the title stand out. I then punched different shapes out of riding hood red card stock, stamped them in encore gold with images form the Winter Post set, added pieces punched with the word window punch out of brushed gold card stock to look like ornament tops and used the elastic gold cord to make the "ornaments" look like they were hanging form the top of the page. The photo mat is a 5.25x7.25 piece of naturals ivory card stock, just perfect for a 5x7" photo.

On the reverse side I used baja breeze card stock and pacific point patterns designer series paper. I stamped the baja breeze card stock with various size snowflakes form the Snow Swirled set in baja breeze ink. I then stamped the title (again, from the Big on Christmas set) in basic black on whisper white card stock and colored it using a blender pen. I added a pacific point mat and punched a horizontal slot in both layers, which enabled me to tie on a piece of baja breeze striped grosgrain ribbon. I added a 5.25x7.25" mat of pacific point card stock, wrapped with more of the pacific point striped grosgrain ribbon. As a final decoration I added two of the felt flurries.

The best part of this project was that even though it involves two separate scrap layouts, it really does not take long to put together. Which is a good thing, because the class is only scheduled for 1-1.5 hours! I just hope everyone who attends will enjoy making this holiday project.

No comments: