Monday, December 10, 2007

It's ornamental!

I'm not sure who originally came up with the idea to take a round chipboard coaster and turn it into an ornament by adding a tab at the top, but that person was pretty danged brilliant! Thanks so much!

The Stampers in Stitches (a demonstrator group I belong to) recently did a bulk buy of these round chipboard coasters so of course I had to purchase a sleeve (about 90). Had I known how much fun I was going to have making Christmas cards with these, I might have purchased more!

For this card I covered the round chipboard coaster with some Dashing designer paper. For these kinds of projects I use the Stampin' Up! glue sticks as my adhesive. I find that I can cover the whole area really well and the paper really sticks to the chipboard!

Next I added two strips of real red card stock and a narrow strip of the reverse side of the same piece of dashing designer paper. The dots on the narrow strips were actually white, but I wanted something a little bit more glitzy, so I used my zig painty to paint the dots gold and I also added the zigzag design on the red strips.

I used the round tab punch to make my tab, folded it in half and adhered it to the coaster with two gold brads. I then used the rectangle handheld punch to punch two wholes through which I threaded some white taffeta ribbon. I had a couple of these tags left over from making projects for the craft fair so I decided to use one of them, even though it features a stamp from the retired Tags So Much hostess set from last year. The ornaments on the tag just seemed like a perfect fit for this ornament card!

I attached the tag to the ornament using a dimensional and some gold cord woven through the taffeta ribbon. I tied the taffeta into a pretty bow and adhered the whole ornament to my old olive card base with the glue stick. I'm really pleased with the result -- hope you like it as well.

6 comments:

Diane said...

Don't know who came up with it,but
you did an amazing job with this one! It's gorgeous Diane!!!

Jules said...

Just adorable!!! I love the little zigzag with the ziggie!

Anonymous said...

I love that!!!!

Liz

Susan said...

I Love this card!

Nancy Riley said...

Genius idea! This is darling!!!!

Cindy Beach said...

WOW, Diane, this is a fabulous card! I love the layers of paper and the zigzag stitching. Adorable.
Congrats on being Stamping Top 95 with your blog!