Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Circle punch tricks

Yesterday I promised to show you some punch tricks that can help you make word window punch and keytag punch shapes without actually using those punches. The secret? It's using the right size circle for the shape that you need.

In this first picture you can see how I can get a rounded edge on a narrow strip of whisper white card stock by inserting it into a 1/2" circle punch from the center out.

Once you punch one side, simply insert the strip into the same punch from the center out into the other direction and punch again. What you end up with is a ssape that resembles the word window punch, but can be slightly wider and also can be as long as you need it to be.

To create a mat for your newly punched shape, you need something like a keytag punch. However, if you don't own this punch yet, you can create a similar look with one of your circle punches. Here I took a 1 inch wide strip of tempting turquoise card stock and inserted it into the 1 1/4" circle punch from the center out.



After the first side is punched, I insert the strip into the 1 1/4" circle punch from the center out into the other direction and I layer on the word window shape to see the exact length I will need in my keytag shape. Then I punch again and I have the perfectly layered sentiment.
This same trick would work with slightly wider or narrower strips of card stock, though you may need to adjust which circle punch you are going to use to get the correct rounding shape at the edges.

And if you want the ticket corner look but can't find your ticket corner punch? Well, the 1/2" circle punch comes to the rescue egain. Simply insert the corners of your card stock so that the very tip of the corner is in the center of the circle shape. Punch and repeat on the other corners.
Keep in mind that unless you mark the edges of your circle, this method leaves a lot of room for inaccuracy, so sometimes your ticket corners may not all be event. That's why I'm not advocating this as a replacement for a ticket corner punch. But it will do if you're in a pinch like when your ticket corner punch chooses an unfortunate moment to play hide and seek in your stamp room.





5 comments:

Tina said...

What great tips, thanks for sharing.

Holly Young said...

Great tips Diane, and a real money saver too!

Diane said...

Those are really good tips Diane!
TFS!!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Thank you SO much for these tips. The word window and key tag are two punches on my wish list. Now I can spend my money on stamps instead!

--Melissa

Anonymous said...

Wow! You make it look so easy. Wish me luck!