Saturday, November 17, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

I know it's too late for the Canadian Thanksgiving and too early for the US one, but in my family we always celebrate Thanksgiving with a brunch on the Sunday before the actual US holiday. We arrived at this tradition in kind of a roundabout way.

When Bill and I first got married we tried spend Thanksgiving with both families. That year the hostess for my family was my cousin, who lives 1 hour's drive south of us. The host for Bill's family was his uncle, who lived 1 hour north of us. So that year we drove for 4 hours (more than some people I knew who went out of town for the holiday), ate two full dinners, and vowed never to do such a silly thing again.

The following year we through we'd be smart and eat dinner with Bill's family and brunch with my more immediate family -- my parents and step-sister - and skip my larger family get together. So I got busy and found some great Thanksgiving themed brunch dishes. Pumpkin pancakes, turkey sausage links, cranberry bread, etc. Well, we eliminated part of the drive, but having a huge brunch on Thanksgiving day did nothing to resolve the two meal dilemma.

So from then on my parents and stepsister come over for Thanksgiving brunch on the Sunday before Thanksgiving, and everyone is happy. Yes, we stuff ourselves like piglets at both meals, but at least the two meals are 4 days apart and on both days we hardly eat anything else. Is it the healthiest plan in the world? Not quite. But is has to be healthier than eating all that stuff in one day!

Anyway, this year we have a couple of new recipes to try. Stuffing sausage and egg casserole and cranberry cheese danish. Yum Yum. I can't wait!

So in honor of our Thanksgiving Brunch tomorrow, I'm sharing a card I made a while ago for a Stampin' up! contest. It wasn't good enough to win, but I still like it.

Recipe:

card stock: glossy white, naturals ivory, more mustard, ruby red, chocolate chip, river rock
Ink: chocolate chip craft, really red, pumpkin pie, summer sun, more mustard, old olive, river rock
stamps: autumn harvest, holidays and wishes
accessories: brayer, dimensionals, clear embossing powder, wide chocolate chip grosgrain, aquapainter, handheld rectangle punch.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Oh Diane your brunch recipies sound delicious...can we come over,
LOL.Hey,who cares if it's too much food,the main reason is to be Thankful and being with your family.So enjoy them and the food!!
Your card is gorgeous btw!!!