Saturday, October 20, 2007

Garland Joy

Today's project is a garland that we'll be making at my Christmas Home Decor class in November. It's actually a slight modification of the garland featured in the Stampin' Up! Holiday mini collection.


What are the differences? Well, to start, I used certainly celery prints double sided designer series paper instead of old olive. I did this only because I didn't happen to have the old olive designer paper in the house, but I actually really like the design with the certainly celery designer paper as well. (Class students will be able to choose the paper color they prefer at the time of registration.)

Also, since I didn't have the On-board Trimmings chipboard assortment, I decided to substitute the snowflakes that are included in the On Board Garland Greetings assortment. Unfortunately, these were a bit smaller than the ones used by Stampin' Up!, so in order to make them a bit more prominent I attached them to a double mat of real red and certainly celery card stock, which I cut out using my coluzzle cutting system.

Finally, it will be difficult to see in this picture, but I did not actually stitch around the letters. Instead, I use my crafter's tool kit to paper pierce around the edges and then used my white signo gel pen to add the faux stitch lines. Great look without having to drag out my sewing machine!

I must say, I have really enjoyed making these garlands for the various holidays. I don't think I ever posted my Thanksgiving Garland effort on the blog, so I thought I would do so now. As you can see, I pretty much followed the example prepared by Stampin' Up!, which you could easily do as well, or you could be creative and use different colors and designer paper to match the decor of your home. Either way, don't miss out on the fun!

As an aside, it seems that Shannon and Melody both like the little Frankenstein of a card I put together and posted here last night. Trust me, ladies, it's only because you haven't seen it in person. It's quite the oddity, if I say so myself.

But Melody, since you actually would like to see it in person (LOL- sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for) if you want to send me your snail mail address to stampwithdiane@comcast.net I will happily send you the little monstrosity, as long as you promise never to show it to anyone else as an example of my work (Oh, the horror!).

And Shannon, please tell me that you and Diane (dd2njoy) know each other! It's not every day that I get to send mail to Canada, so imagine my surprise when I found myself addressing two envelopes on the same day to the same town in Canada. I have no idea how big the town you commenting on the same card on my blog? Let me assure you, my readership is not that large, so I'm thinking the odds would be very small indeed. Which is why I think you two must be stampin' buddies. If not, maybe you should be - I'd love to think of my blog as a little stamper buddy matchmaking service -- LOL! That would be cool!

3 comments:

tyrymom29 said...

OMG .....lol Diane Happens to be my AUNT ....Shes actually my GODMOTHER .....im the one that got her into this HOBBY !!!

Diane said...

Yes Diane... I am Shannon's godmother,she is my favorite niece
(ssshhhh,dont tell anyone lol).She got me addicted to all this!!! But I love every minute of it,hehe!
Thanks for your wonderful blog!
Diane

Crafty Connie said...

Those garlands make me wish that I had a fireplace and mantel to decorate. Very nice job!