Saturday, August 5, 2017

Tropical Colors Inspiration

The inspiration challenge today on Splitcoast Stampers linked to a pinterest board filled with all things tropical. This card was inspired by this pin and this one and the way the vibrant tropical colors stood out against a black background in both pictures. The colors reminded me of the liquid chalk markers I bought recently and only used once so far. This seemed like a perfect opportunity to play with them some more.

I thought the easiest way to use the markers was to color parts of an embossing folder. I used the Summer Flowers A6 embossing folder from Sizzix with basic black card stock. It's not the most tropical, but it's easy to color with the markers without making too much of a mess. I used standard colors for the leaves and flowers and then used silver for the accent dots and borders. On the final card picture it's really hard to see that this is an embossing folder, so I'm including a picture of white card stock embossed with the same folder on which I colored in the leaves and one flower.

I wanted to leave as much of the background visible as possible, so I stamped the birthday sentiment on a narrow strip of basic black card stock with creaft white ink and heat embossed it with detail white embossing powder. I used the mini banner punch on each end of the card stock strip and cut a piece of brushed silver card stock for a mat. I then used the paper piercing mat and a small stylus to dry emboss the dotted border around the mat that echoed the accent dots on the embossing folder.

I know this doesn't look much like the inspiration, but I love the bright colors and I had fun making a birthday card that was totally outside my comfort zone.

Recipe:

Paper: Basic Black, Brushed Silver, gray card base from the ms. sparkle & Co. Neutrals A7 cards and envelopes assortment by DCWV Inc.
Ink: Craft White, Cedar Markers Liquid Chalk Markers
Stamps: Grunge Rock
Accessories:  detail white embossing powder, mini banner punch, paper piercing template, Summer Flowers A6 embossing folder from Sizzix

No comments: