Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Time to Hit the Books

The Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Blog Challenge this week is "Back to School". I don't have kids, so I don't normally make back to school stuff but recently, while rummaging through some really old scrapbooking supplies, I found some school related stickers, so I decided to play. And because one challenge is good but two are even better, I also decided to use this the awesome colors from this week's SCS color combination challenge - Basic Gray, Bermuda Bay and Lemon Lime Twist - or as close as I could get with my supplies.

I don't have anything in Lemon Lime Twist, but I found a piece of very vibrant green patterned paper in my scrap pile that Worked well with the other two colors. I embossed a 4x5.25" piece of the paper with the School Days embossing folder and used my sanding block to make the embossed areas more prominent. I then attached the mat to a bermuda bay card base.

For the tag, I cut a piece of basic gray card stock and a slightly smaller piece of whisper white card stock. I stamped the white card stock with the Off the Grid stamp in Bermuda bay ink, using the image a couple of times to cover most of the tag. I added the vellum sticker with the books and "hit the books" sentiment. I added the words "time to" by using the Stampin' Up! Alphabet Rotary stamp. I also colored the books and book ends with the gable green and basic gray markers.

I adhered the white card stock to the basic gay may and punched both with the tag topper punch. I added the basic gray hole protector which I created with the tag topper punch and the 1/2" circle punch. I cut several lengths of Parakeet verigated fancy floss and looped them thought the tag hole. I die cut a couple of arrows from the patterned paper and added them to the tag along with some gray arrow thin paper tape before attaching the tag to the card with dimensionals.

For the final element, I die cut a pocket watch shape using the Dear Old Dad Shapeabilities and Chalk Talk Framelits (I used the little oval for the hole in the top of the pocket watch). I embossed a piece of Bermuda bay card stock with the Clocks embossing folder and punched out a clock face with the 1 1/4" circle punch. I used whisper white craft ink to highlight the embossed areas on the face and attached the face to the pocket watch die cut. I attached the pocket watch to the tag with a dimensional.

I really like the way this non-traditional back to school card came out. Not bad for a stamp room that's really mostly devoid of any scholastic themed supplies :).

Recipe:

Paper: bermuda bay, basic gray, whisper white, green patterned paper of unknown origin
Ink: bermuda bay, whisper white craft, basic gray, gable green
Stamps: Off The Grid, Alphabet Rotary Stamp
Accessories: sanding block, Chalk Talk Framelits, 1/2" and 1 1/4" circle punches, tag topper punch, Neutral arrow thin paper tape by K&Company, School Days and Clocks Textured Impressions Embossing Folders by Sizzix, velum sentiment sticker of unknown origin, Dear Old Dad Shapeabilities by Spellbinders, Every Dray Framelits by Echo Park from Sizzix, Parakeet verigated fancy floss by We R Memory Keepers

1 comment:

debby4000 said...

Fabulous card, love the background and colours.
Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
luv
Debby