Sunday, March 16, 2008

Lots of Thoughts on a zig-zag tutorial

Tonight I'm featuring yet another card from my Sale-A- Bration card class. This one uses the Lots of Thoughts stamp set and a super easy layout. To make this card stand out a little beyond the ordinary as well as to show my students a new technique, I decided to use the Stampin' Up! photo corner punch (you can use a square punch as well) to make a zig-zag border at the bottom of the wild wasabi layer.

I actually did this for the first time back in August and even took photos for a tutorial (which is why I use apricot appeal card stock in the photos instead of wild wasabi) but then I had other stuff to upload and the tutorial sort of fell by the wayside until now. Since I'm showing you this card tonight, I thought I might as well show you how to do the zigzag. Enjoy!

I start by inserting a thin metal ruler into the opening of my photo corner (or square) punch.




Using the ruler and a permanent marker, I mark off several distances, making hash marks on the 1/8 inch, 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch and 1/2 inch lines on one side of the corner.



I then do the same thing on the other side of the corner.




After I do this the punch looks like this. Now, to make the zigzag, all I need to do is insert a piece of card stock into the punch so that the edge of the card stock falls exactly on the hash marks. In this photo I decided to use the 2nd hash mark from the edge.



This is what the card stock should look like after one punch. Now all you have to do is repeat this step, inserting the card stock into the punch so that the bottom edge is even with the same hash marks over and over until the entire length of the card stock is punched.



In this photo I wanted to show you the difference between using the various hash marks. The first 6 "teeth" were punched using the second set of hash marks. The next 3 teeth were done using the 3rd set of hash marks, the next three teeth used the fourth set of hash marks and the next three used the first set of hash marks.

This method of creating a zig zag boarder does require a little patience and some practice, but once you have it down it's really fun and easy. And, once again, it showcases how virtually any punch can do double duty. Woo hoo!

4 comments:

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

Thanks for the tutorial.

ktstamps said...

incredible. Thank you! kt

~Deborah~ said...

WOW! I love learning new things! TFS!
~Deb

Theresa Momber said...

Very clever. I love your tutorials. Thanks for sharing.