Friday, June 9, 2017

Beachy Birthday


Today's Free for all challenge on Splitcoast  asked for beachy cards. I really wanted to play, but we're going out of town this weekend so I didn't have enough time. However, I had stamped this card back in February for my MIL's birthday. At the time, we were a month away from a family cruise that my MIL treated us all to, so it made sense to make her a beach-themed birthday card. She loved it, but I never uploaded it to SCS. Since it fits today's challenge, I decided to cheat a little and upload it now.

The card is a stairstep card, which is a little easier to see in the second photo. There are two shorter layers in front of the back layer to give the beach "scene" extra depth. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take any pictures from the side :(. 

I fussy cut almost all of the stamped images from the Shore Thing, Sentimental Journey and Summer Splash sets by hand (and should have done a much better job on the sun - oh well), except for the sanddollar images that serve as kind of faux brads on the birthday sentiment die cut - those were punched with the 1/2" circle punch. The sentiment label and banner were die cut using framelits form the Banners and Apothecary Accents assortments.

I embossed the soft sky background with the cloudy day embossing folder and I tore and sponged the sea and beach layers as well as stamping those layers with the wave and sand images from the Shore Thing set. I tore four separate layers for the middle tier of the card (two blue and two crumb cake) to create the look of perspective both on the beach and in the sea. The Gone to the Beach sentiment was a $1 stamp from Michael's that I picked up years ago and finally had a chance to use. It was just perfect for this card.

Recipe (all products Stampin' Up! except as indicated):
Paper: Whisper White, Soft Sky, Ballet Blue, Crumb Cake
Ink: Crumb Cake, Ballet Blue, Pumpkin Pie, Creamy Caramel, Summer Sun
Stamps: Shore Thing, Sentimental Journey, Summer Splash, Sassy Salutations, Gone to the Beach (c) Village Arts Press
Accessories: Banners and Apothecary Accents Framelits, Cloudy Day Embossing Folder, 1/2" Circle Punch, dimensionals.

No comments: