Thursday, September 18, 2008

Halloween Treat holder tutorial

Tonight I was finally able to put together the tutorial I promised. I decorated the treat holder a but differently than the last one, but the "bones" are the same.

Start with a 3.5x8.5 piece of card stock (in this case, basic black) scored along the longer side at 1, 4.25 and 7.5 inches. Eventually you will fold this piece of card stock as shown in this photo.



Fold the card stock in half (along the 4.25" score line and use the 1" circle punch to punch a semi-circle along the fold.


Decorate the front of the treat holder, making sure that all the decorations are above the 1" score line. In this case I used some textured old olive card stock, a piece of Summer Picnic designer series paper, and the spider from the Batty For you set stamped in basic black ink on whisper white card stock, punched out with the 1" circle punch and distressed with the distressing tool from the cutter kit. The spiders were attached using dimensionals and I used my basic black stampin' write marker to simulate the thread outside of the whisper white circles.





I took 3 Hershey's miniatures and wrapped them up in strips of the Ghostly Greetings designer series paper before placing them in a small cello bag.

I folded the basic black card stock into a triangle, with the two 1" pieces overlapping at the bottom and adhered to each other with SNAIL. Then I fished the top of the cello bag through the 1" circle opening at the top.

I stamped the tag from the "Eat, Drink & Be Scary set (available October 1 in the Holiday mini catalog) in versamark ink on pumpkin pie card stock and heat embossed it with black embossing powder. I punched the tag out with the small tag punch, layered it over a larger tag punched from old olive textured card stock, punched a hole at the top with my 1/16" handheld punch and tied a piece of black hemp twine through the tag.


As a final touch I looped the tag through a piece of pumpkin pie narrow grosgrain ribbon, which I tied around the top of the cello bag.


This is such a cute and fun design. I can't take credit for it, though. I actually copied it right from page 86 of the Fall Winter Idea Book and catalog. I guessed on the dimensions, but I think they're fairly close. I also modified some of the details, but the basic inspiration was definitely from the catalog.

As I've said before, there are a ton of great ideas in that Idea Book. I always study each page very carefully dozens of times and take notes on particular details that catch my eye. And even with that, I still find new cool things every time I look in there. Every page is filled with inspiration!

For example, take a close look at page 86. Besides the neat treat holder, you'll also find a very cool way to use a half-pearl on a card plus, a unique way to use the ribbon slide from the hodgepodge hardware, plus a very interesting way to create a corner treatment with taffeta ribbon. And that's just what caught my eye -- you may find other neat things by closely looking at the samples on this page. So be sure to study your Idea Book and Catalog closely, and really use it as the inspiration piece it is intended to be!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

OMG! That is so cute! Thank you for sharing such a neat and fast gift idea! I'm thinking I might case it!!

ThreadCatcher said...

Thanks for the super tutorial! The gals in my bunko and crafters group will be getting these next month! jmniffer

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the Halloween treat holder tutorial. I will try to make my own.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your tutorial, this is just what I needed to be inspired for a Christmas swap I am in...