Saturday, March 10, 2007

After Bedlam

Bedlam was so much fun! I think my favorite part of stamping is just getting together with other stampers and sharing ideas as we work on projects. Well, last night I didn't get to work on too many projects myself, but I was so happy to help everyone who attended find just that "special something" they were looking for.

Diana wanted a template for a "different" kid of Easter card. We found her a basket template that is actually fairly easy to make, but loos so unusual that I think it will really wow all of her friends and relatives!

Kathy used the gift card template (see the fun filled gift card in my March 5th post) to make a great Mother's Day card (she's really planning ahead -- I'm not even done with Saint Patrick's Day yet) and also made a couple of card stock "milk carton" containers from a pattern provided by Stampin' Up! These will make great gifts, especially when filled with chocolate!

Wedding showers were also popular last night. Nikki diligently worked on the shower favors for her future sister-in-law. It' never easy to make a large number of the same item (at least it's not easy for me -- I like variety) but Nikki was a real trooper, stamping and punching and scoring the night away! I saw one of the finished favors and they're look awesome!

I also saw the card Nikki made for the shower. She had the inside of the card all done before last night and it looked fantastic! She made a 8.5x5.5 card, which is twice as large as a typical card, so we really needed to come up with a cool image for the front of the card, and I think we did. We used markers, the stamp-a-ma-jig and the Pretty Princess and Fun Filled stamp sets to create a really cool multi-layered cake. I can't show you her card (forgot to take a picture and even if I had I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise) but I can show you the card I made with our first attempt, which also turned out pretty cool.

So here it is. The cake from the pretty princess set was stamped twice, using the stamp-a-ma-jig to achieve perfect alignment. The first time I omitted the top layer. The second time I omitted the bottom layer and the candle at the top. To finish off the top of the cake we used the "bow" from the fun filled set.

This image was stamped on very vanilla card stock using the pretty in pink marker, and then colored with barely banana, regal rose and blush blossom markers. Dazzling Diamonds stampin' glitter was added to the "frosting" with a 2 way glue pen. I used a stamp from itty bitty backgrounds in pretty in pink to "frame" the image, and lightly sponged the edges with pretty in pink. I wanted to mat the image with barely banana card stock using the wrought iron corner punch in opposite corners, but I made the barely banana mat a little too big. No problem, I cut a second mat in bashful blossom just a tidge larger than the very vanilla, and double matted the image. The base of the card is regal rose.

I really love the way this card turned out and can't wait for the next occasion to use it. Nikki's card is a bit different -- using different colors and slightly different stamps -- but it looks really classy and has just the right touch of sparkle with the glitter. In fact, glitter was also the order of the night yesterday, as both Lisa and Renee added glitter to the cards they were working on. I think after last night, I will dub this trio "the glitter gals," because they all really loved the sparkly effect and have sparkly personalities to match!

So that's it. Time to get ready for my scrap class. I hope this evening I will be able to post some of my completed layouts for you to enjoy. In the meantime, let me know what you thought of the wedding card, and don't forget to mark April 13 on your calendars -- that's the next Bedlam and you don't want to miss the fun!

No comments: